Canada Wins Bronze in Doubles Luge
February 13, 1999
There were mixed emotions following the second day of competition at the World Junior Luge Championships in Igls, Austria. Canada's doubles team of Grant Albrecht and Mike Moffat were on the podium for the second day in a row as they captured the Bronze Medal for Canada."
We weren't happy with our training runs this week so in a way we were surprised with our finish time," reported Moffat. " But even with a few mistakes we were still very fast and are very happy with the Bronze."
Other team members were disappointed with their results but still very proud of the team competition results on February 10 where the Canadian teams finished second and tenth overall in the 14 nation competition.
Nicole Simon, silver medalist in the team competition, reported "We were confident after our results in the team competition, but for most of us, today was not our day for two good back to back runs."
Mens singles competition will take place on Sunday, February 14 with the team returning to Calgary on Monday, February 15.
Womens Singles ( two runs, combined time)
1. Margarita Klimenko (Russia) 1:21.520
2. Anna Tielke (Germany) 1:21.611
3. Veronika Halder (Austria) 1:21.683
19. Nicole Simon (Canada) 1:23.427
21. Regan Lauscher (Canada) 1:23.506
Mens Doubles (two runs, combined time)
1. Steffen Dundr/Jan Eichhorn (Germany) 1:21.474
2. Christian Pfalz/Martin Biedermann (Germany) 1:21.613
3. Grant Albrecht/Mike Moffat (Canada) 1:21.677
9. Chris Moffat/Eric Pothier (Canada) 1:23.058